2017年9月12日 星期二

Mending Wall/ Robert Frost

Mending Wall
Robert Frost

"Rock wall" by diskychick is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing: 
I have come after them and made repair 
Where they have left not one stone on a stone, 
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding, 
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean, 
No one has seen them made or heard them made, 
But at spring mending-time we find them there. 
I let my neighbour know beyond the hill; 
And on a day we meet to walk the line 
And set the wall between us once again. 
We keep the wall between us as we go. 
To each the boulders that have fallen to each. 
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls 
We have to use a spell to make them balance: 
"Stay where you are until our backs are turned!
We wear our fingers rough with handling them. 
Oh, just another kind of out-door game, 
One on a side. It comes to little more: 
There where it is we do not need the wall: 
He is all pine and I am apple orchard. 
My apple trees will never get across 
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him. 
He only says, "Good fences make good neighbours." 
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder 
If I could put a notion in his head: 
"Why do they make good neighbours? Isn't it 
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows. 
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know 
What I was walling in or walling out, 
And to whom I was like to give offence. 
Something there is that doesn't love a wall, 
That wants it down." I could say "Elves" to him, 
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather 
He said it for himself. I see him there 
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top 
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed. 
He moves in darkness as it seems to me, 
Not of woods only and the shade of trees. 
He will not go behind his father's saying, 
And he likes having thought of it so well 
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbours."

43 則留言 :

  1. 1.Space Boundary
    2.Absolutely
    3.The neighbor
    Everyone needs their own spaces

    回覆刪除
  2. The wall is stanf for communication.

    回覆刪除
  3. What does a wall mean to you?
    我覺得牆像聯考時考的數理科
    對我來說 在我考大學選擇語文科系的時候
    對我上的課程都不會有影響 也不需要用到
    不過還是會有人覺得考數學是必要的
    覺得那些數理應該是基本常識
    所以即便我不想 看的心不甘情不願
    還是得去讀 去考

    回覆刪除
  4. I think Wall means the distance between people and people,if it doesn't have wall. We can more close to each other. But it may offence the other one if you don't realize him or her so much.

    回覆刪除
  5. I don't think it's necessary to mend a wall because mending the wall takes time and will have to mend it every time it's broken.

    回覆刪除
  6. I think it is not necessary to mend the wall because there is already a wall.That's enough.
    But I prefer to recreate a new beautiful wall.=))

    回覆刪除
  7. 張元柏:一道牆可以保持人與人之間友善的距離,既不疏遠也不會過於親近而使人感受到壓力,對於我來說是這道牆的意義。
    當然這道牆不需要高到把自己與他人拒之在外,但也不是低到可以忽視的存在,保持著這樣的距離,才能與人有輕鬆自在的相處環境。

    回覆刪除
  8. I think it is necessary to mend a wall because you can protect your privacy.

    回覆刪除
  9. 1、A wall means a dividing line between me and other people.

    回覆刪除
  10. 2.No,I don't think it's necessary to mend a wall because it's difficult to destroy.

    回覆刪除
  11. 2.I think it is necessary to mend a wall,because there have privacy problem.

    回覆刪除
  12. 黃歆媛2
    I think the wall is important to us, because of the wall can keep us privacy. However, the wall also can decrease fight. For example, if my dog run out to the neighbor, and bite something that neighbor's gress, mess the gress, or play something. 我顧我們家的 你顧你們家的 這樣就會減少不必要的紛爭 it's more save.

    回覆刪除
  13. I think it is necessary to mend the well.
    Because I don't want my neighbor see what I do in my area.

    回覆刪除
  14. I think it is necessary to mend a wall, because everyone has their own pravicy, so they don't want to let other people know their secrets.

    回覆刪除
  15. 1.a wall means sometimes I am talking with my friends but I can not understand what they say because I was a student who had changed the school.

    回覆刪除
  16. 我認為牆是不需要的,但是即便如此還是該建牆,因為任何事物之間都該有一個界限之類的來維持事物的平衡。

    回覆刪除
  17. 李怡禛
    yes, I think it is necessary to mend a wall because that is our privacy.

    回覆刪除
  18. I think it is necessary to mend a wall because the wall means bounds to me, do not offend my privacy and freedom.

    回覆刪除
  19. 何芝寧 第一題
    一種個人的界線,如果陌生人跨越這個界線會是使我不愉快,但是慢慢熟悉後,成為朋友,我可以敞開心房,邀請他們進來我的世界。每個人都有一道牆,要如何卸下心防,要嘗試溝通與交流

    回覆刪除
  20. The well means privacy to me, but it's ok to let it crumble if we're good friend.

    回覆刪除
  21. 1. I think the wall means the distrusts between people.

    回覆刪除
  22. A wall means a bounder to me.
    Sometimes it is a way to help to disconnect something I do not want to know.

    回覆刪除
  23. I think it's necessary but we have to mend it. It just like math, we don't have to read it , but at school, we still have to read it.

    回覆刪除
  24. I think that wall meaning for me is a rule.I think I must have a private space.In the same time, I must respect each other.

    回覆刪除
  25. A wall means I wanna buy something, but I can’t afford it.

    回覆刪除
  26. 牆對我來說是一個心理的矛盾

    回覆刪除
  27. I think it's necessary to mend the wall, because privacy is very important, I don't want my neighbor to see what I do in my home.

    回覆刪除
  28. I think wall means challenges or privacy or defense

    回覆刪除
  29. I think it is necessary to mend a wall. Because I still need some privacy.

    回覆刪除
  30. A wall means lose freedom to me. It could trapped people in a place.

    回覆刪除
  31. 1.I think the wall can protect myself. If someone wants to kill me, the wall can cover me.

    回覆刪除
  32. The wall means secret to me,we can tell others or choose to tell someone.

    回覆刪除
  33. Wall means school to me
    I think the answer is no

    回覆刪除
  34. 我覺的是自己跨不過去的矛盾形成的

    回覆刪除
  35. A wall means the privacy. Somebody doesn't want to let others konw what they are doing.
    Or means my things is not your business. 井水不犯河水

    回覆刪除
  36. a wall means a gap
    like sometimes i say something interesting to my friends but they don’t understand

    回覆刪除
  37. What does a wall means to you?
    I think a wall means don't want to talk to neighbors.
    And I think a wall is not necessary.

    回覆刪除
  38. A wall means to me is the way to lose my freedom and I can't join the life of your neighborhood.

    回覆刪除
  39. I agree that we need to build a wall, to keep our space and belongs safe. But it works only when everybody make a agreement, otherwise the system will failed.

    回覆刪除
  40. I think it's necessary to mend a wall because it can block me from others. It's important to keep our privacy.

    回覆刪除
  41. I think the wall symbolizes a shared obligation

    回覆刪除
  42. The wall Yes because the wall can defense the enemy

    回覆刪除
  43. A wall means "disconnected" to me, because the wall breaks up each other relationship, we have to contact each other, or our wall will higher and higher.

    回覆刪除