Today’s class focused on how Oedipus was unable to escape his inevitable fate and prevent the gods from carrying out their deeds and plans.
It reminded me of an ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, who said, “All I know is that I know nothing.”
This kind of idea often appears in ancient Greek literature and art, conveying the people’s sense of helplessness and ignorance in the face of fate at that time.
I think people go through hardships and setbacks to grow and be tested. We come into this world to suffer. This idea reminds me of the chorus’s words in the lecture notes: “Look at Oedipus proof that none of us mortals can truly be thought of as happy until he is granted deliverance from life, until he is dead and must suffer no more.” This also reminds me of how, when young and kind people die, people often say that they were so kind that they were released from suffering early and went to heaven sooner, so they no longer had to experience the pain of this world. I also agree with the idea that God is wicked. I think God’s job is to punish evil people, so God has to create evil first in order to have a purpose. Otherwise, God would have no reason to exist!
Today’s class focused on how Oedipus was unable to escape his inevitable fate and prevent the gods from carrying out their deeds and plans.
It reminded me of an ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, who said, “All I know is that I know nothing.”
This kind of idea often appears in ancient Greek literature and art, conveying the people’s sense of helplessness and ignorance in the face of fate at that time.
I think Oedipus is a brave and responsible person. He really wants to find the truth and help his people. However, he is also very stubborn and sometimes makes decisions too quickly. I feel sorry for him because he tries to do the right thing, but the truth brings him a lot of pain. In the end, Oedipus teaches us that we should face the truth, even when it is hard.
I would like to talk about fate. I think Oedipus really tried to escape his fate, but the gods seemed to lead him toward it. I think it was unfair because he never intentionally committed those crimes. But he still had to face the consequences, which makes his tragedy complicated.
I think Oedipus is a true hero because he is very brave. He wants to know the truth, even when he feels that the answer will be terrible. He does not want to run away from his problems. His courage to face the truth makes him a great man.
After learning about Oedipus, I started to think about fate and freedom. “None of us mortals can truly be thought of as happy until he is granted deliverance from life.” This shows how much suffering Oedipus experienced. I think we cannot control everything in life, but we can choose how to face our fate.
Today's class focused on how Oedipus could not escape his inevitable fate. People go through hardships and setbacks to grow, as we come into this world to suffer. No mortal can be truly happy until they are dead and suffer no more. When young and kind people die, people say they went to heaven sooner to escape pain. God has to create evil first in order to punish it and have a purpose. Oedipus is a brave and responsible person who wants to help his people. He tries to do the right thing, but the truth brings him a lot of pain. He tried to escape his fate, but the gods seemed to lead him toward it. In the end, Oedipus teaches us that we should be brave and face the truth.
I think Oedipus is a powerful story about human curiosity and the power of fate. Oedipus tries his best to save his city and find the person who caused the terrible plague, never stopping his search for the truth even when it might destroy his own life. His character shows us how brave a person can be when looking for answers, though his story also shows that humans cannot outsmart or beat their destiny. The gods seem to control everything, which makes Oedipus's life feel very unfair because he didn't mean to commit those terrible crimes, yet he still had to pay a heavy price. Even though his journey ends in deep sadness, he never runs away from his responsibility and accepts his dark, tragic fate with great dignity. In the end, this story teaches us that we must face reality, no matter how painful it might be.
I learned that Oedipus cannot escape his fate, even though he tries very hard to avoid it. He makes many decisions with good intentions, but these decisions eventually lead him to the tragic ending. I think the most interesting part is that Oedipus believes he can control his own life, but he is actually helping the prophecy come true. This makes his story very tragic because he does not know the truth until it is too late.
I feel that Oedipus’ life is such tragic and unfair. He tries his best to escape his fate, but everything he does actually brings him closer to it. This makes me wonder whether people really have free will or whether some things are already decided by fate. These things make me realize that humans have limitations, and sometimes we cannot control everything in our lives.
英三A 陳妤婕 411309217 This class made me think about how limited people are. Oedipus thought he was making the right choices, but he did not know the whole truth. I think we are sometimes like this too. We make decisions based on what we know, but things may turn out differently. We cannot know the future, and that is what makes Oedipus feel more human to me.
Oedipus is such a symbol of tragedy, representing that human suffering is inevitable, which reminds me of my previous experience in school. It teaches me that we should never try to break the rules that the God has already established tgat are governed by a higher power. When I was young, I was naughty and liked to ask questions about life. I acknowledge that ignorance is dangerous because it may put me in an uncertained situation. In conclusion, all we can do is to remain humble when facing difficulties that we can't control and continue exploring the world without becoming arrogant.
英四A 張惟勛 411218490 I think Oedipus Rex is a very sad and ironic story. Oedipus tried to escape the prophecy, but he eventually made it come true. What impressed me the most is that he did not do these things on purpose. This story also made me think about whether people can really escape their fate.
I feel a little sad about this story. Oedipus tried his best to escape from his unhappy fate, but the ending was still not what he wanted. It made me think about whether our efforts can really change our fate.
However, I think it is interesting that if his parents had not completely believed the prophecy and had just let things happen naturally, the ending might have been different.
For me, I have always believed that fate may have already planned our lives. Even when bad things happen, they can still help us grow. So I think instead of trying too hard to escape our fate, it is more important to accept what happens and never give up easily, no matter what the result is.
Oedipus tries to escape his fate, but his choices eventually make the prophecy come true. This makes me think about whether we can really control our own lives. Sometimes, even when we make our own choices, we cannot control the final result. I also feel sorry for Oedipus because he always tries to do what he thinks is right, but he does not know that he is slowly moving toward the ending that fate has planned for him. This makes me realize that some things cannot be changed no matter how hard we try.
I think Oedipus is a tragic character because he tries to escape his fate but eventually makes the prophecy come true. The story also makes me question whether the gods are really fair to humans. Oedipus wants to help his people and does not mean to hurt anyone, but he still suffers because of his fate. I think the most painful part is that he discovers the truth and realizes that he cannot change what has already happened. This story shows me that sometimes people cannot control their fate, but they can choose how to face the truth.
This handout talks about whether Oedipus’s fate is fair. Oedipus tries to escape the prophecy, but he cannot escape his fate. He uses his intelligence and courage to find the truth, but the truth brings him great pain. The story asks why good and innocent people have to suffer. Oedipus blames Apollo and feels that he cannot fight against his fate. In the end, the play shows a sad story about Oedipus and the gods.
When Oedipus finds out the painful truth, he chooses to blind himself instead of running away or making excuses. It reminded me of Charles Swindoll's words: "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." At first, I thought his story was just a sad accident caused by the gods. But after today’s class, I realize that Oedipus’s choice is what makes him truly brave. Even though he couldn't change his fate, his choice to accept the punishment and take full responsibility shows the real strength of human nature.
This handout asks if Oedipus’s destruction is fair and why innocent people have to suffer. Oedipus tries to use his intelligence and courage to escape Apollo’s prophecy, but he finally discovers the tragic truth by himself. The gods seem to watch him fail to escape his fate, even though he tries his best. The story also asks why good and innocent people have to suffer. After learning the truth, Oedipus blames Apollo and feels helpless against his fate. Finally, the play shows not only a human tragedy, but also a tragedy about Greek religion and the unfair actions of the gods.
When Oedipus finds out the truth, he says, “I am cursed! Doomed! I am the man most hated by the gods!” Then, he blames his misfortune on the gods. I think he was right because the wicked gods watched him as if he were a show. But I think he is too kind because he then blames himself, since these things were done by his own hand, and he feels guilty for the victim. However, there was nothing he could do to change what had already happened, even though he had done so much to found out the truth and avoid it.
I think Oedipus’ story is unfair and tragic. He did not know that the man he killed was his real father, and he did not know that the woman he married was his real mother. In fact, he tried to escape the prophecy, but he still could not escape his fate. I don’t think he deserved all the suffering because he never wanted these things to happen.
411011987 英四A 許芳嘉 The feeling of being powerless to the fate and death has always been one of the inevitable things in our lives. I believe knowing ourselves and others will be the path to our happiness and so we will look for our own meaning of lives as long as we are alive just like Oedipus acting on his own beliefs while he knows nothing. This story depicts the paradox of chasing what we want but I think that’s how the life works so I will still continue my own journey searching for meaning and purpose because life is short.
This reading selection on Oedipus Tyrannus deeply explores the themes of "justice, fate, and human limitation." Oedipus tries with all his might to escape the prophecy, only to ironically uncover the tragic truth with his own hands. This tragedy reveals the arbitrary nature of the gods in Greek mythology as well as the helplessness of human existence. It also conveys a core concept: humans know far too little about themselves and the world. Only by recognizing our own limitations can we remain humble and reverent when facing the unpredictable nature of fate.
英4A 劉紫姸 411270191 What strikes me most about Oedipus is the danger of seeking absolute truth. Oedipus was a wise ruler who was determined to solve the mystery to save his city, yet his search for knowledge ultimately destroyed his life. It makes me reflect on how chasing the truth can sometimes bring more pain than comfort. His story is a powerful reminder that while knowledge gives us power, it can also reveal dark realities that we might not be ready to handle.
周禹妡411012064 After these class I started thinking about how much control we actually have over our lives. Sometimes we make choices because we believe they are the right ones, but we cannot know what will happen in the future. I think this is a little scary because even when we try our best, things may still turn out differently from what we expected.
Today’s class focused on how Oedipus was unable to escape his inevitable fate and prevent the gods from carrying out their deeds and plans.
回覆刪除It reminded me of an ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, who said, “All I know is that I know nothing.”
This kind of idea often appears in ancient Greek literature and art, conveying the people’s sense of helplessness and ignorance in the face of fate at that time.
I think people go through hardships and setbacks to grow and be tested. We come into this world to suffer. This idea reminds me of the chorus’s words in the lecture notes: “Look at Oedipus proof that none of us mortals can truly be thought of as happy until he is granted deliverance from life, until he is dead and must suffer no more.”
回覆刪除This also reminds me of how, when young and kind people die, people often say that they were so kind that they were released from suffering early and went to heaven sooner, so they no longer had to experience the pain of this world.
I also agree with the idea that God is wicked. I think God’s job is to punish evil people, so God has to create evil first in order to have a purpose. Otherwise, God would have no reason to exist!
Today’s class focused on how Oedipus was unable to escape his inevitable fate and prevent the gods from carrying out their deeds and plans.
回覆刪除It reminded me of an ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, who said, “All I know is that I know nothing.”
This kind of idea often appears in ancient Greek literature and art, conveying the people’s sense of helplessness and ignorance in the face of fate at that time.
I think Oedipus is a brave and responsible person. He really wants to find the truth and help his people. However, he is also very stubborn and sometimes makes decisions too quickly. I feel sorry for him because he tries to do the right thing, but the truth brings him a lot of pain. In the end, Oedipus teaches us that we should face the truth, even when it is hard.
回覆刪除I would like to talk about fate. I think Oedipus really tried to escape his fate, but the gods seemed to lead him toward it. I think it was unfair because he never intentionally committed those crimes. But he still had to face the consequences, which makes his tragedy complicated.
回覆刪除I think Oedipus is a true hero because he is very brave. He wants to know the truth, even when he feels that the answer will be terrible. He does not want to run away from his problems. His courage to face the truth makes him a great man.
回覆刪除After learning about Oedipus, I started to think about fate and freedom. “None of us mortals can truly be thought of as happy until he is granted deliverance from life.” This shows how much suffering Oedipus experienced. I think we cannot control everything in life, but we can choose how to face our fate.
回覆刪除Today's class focused on how Oedipus could not escape his inevitable fate. People go through hardships and setbacks to grow, as we come into this world to suffer. No mortal can be truly happy until they are dead and suffer no more. When young and kind people die, people say they went to heaven sooner to escape pain. God has to create evil first in order to punish it and have a purpose. Oedipus is a brave and responsible person who wants to help his people. He tries to do the right thing, but the truth brings him a lot of pain. He tried to escape his fate, but the gods seemed to lead him toward it. In the end, Oedipus teaches us that we should be brave and face the truth.
回覆刪除I think Oedipus is a powerful story about human curiosity and the power of fate. Oedipus tries his best to save his city and find the person who caused the terrible plague, never stopping his search for the truth even when it might destroy his own life. His character shows us how brave a person can be when looking for answers, though his story also shows that humans cannot outsmart or beat their destiny. The gods seem to control everything, which makes Oedipus's life feel very unfair because he didn't mean to commit those terrible crimes, yet he still had to pay a heavy price. Even though his journey ends in deep sadness, he never runs away from his responsibility and accepts his dark, tragic fate with great dignity. In the end, this story teaches us that we must face reality, no matter how painful it might be.
回覆刪除I learned that Oedipus cannot escape his fate, even though he tries very hard to avoid it. He makes many decisions with good intentions, but these decisions eventually lead him to the tragic ending. I think the most interesting part is that Oedipus believes he can control his own life, but he is actually helping the prophecy come true. This makes his story very tragic because he does not know the truth until it is too late.
回覆刪除I feel that Oedipus’ life is such tragic and unfair. He tries his best to escape his fate, but everything he does actually brings him closer to it. This makes me wonder whether people really have free will or whether some things are already decided by fate. These things make me realize that humans have limitations, and sometimes we cannot control everything in our lives.
回覆刪除英三A 陳妤婕 411309217
回覆刪除This class made me think about how limited people are. Oedipus thought he was making the right choices, but he did not know the whole truth. I think we are sometimes like this too. We make decisions based on what we know, but things may turn out differently. We cannot know the future, and that is what makes Oedipus feel more human to me.
Oedipus is such a symbol of tragedy, representing that human suffering is inevitable, which reminds me of my previous experience in school. It teaches me that we should never try to break the rules that the God has already established tgat are governed by a higher power. When I was young, I was naughty and liked to ask questions about life. I acknowledge that ignorance is dangerous because it may put me in an uncertained situation. In conclusion, all we can do is to remain humble when facing difficulties that we can't control and continue exploring the world without becoming arrogant.
回覆刪除英四A 張惟勛 411218490
回覆刪除I think Oedipus Rex is a very sad and ironic story. Oedipus tried to escape the prophecy, but he eventually made it come true. What impressed me the most is that he did not do these things on purpose. This story also made me think about whether people can really escape their fate.
I feel a little sad about this story. Oedipus tried his best to escape from his unhappy fate, but the ending was still not what he wanted. It made me think about whether our efforts can really change our fate.
回覆刪除However, I think it is interesting that if his parents had not completely believed the prophecy and had just let things happen naturally, the ending might have been different.
For me, I have always believed that fate may have already planned our lives. Even when bad things happen, they can still help us grow. So I think instead of trying too hard to escape our fate, it is more important to accept what happens and never give up easily, no matter what the result is.
Oedipus tries to escape his fate, but his choices eventually make the prophecy come true. This makes me think about whether we can really control our own lives. Sometimes, even when we make our own choices, we cannot control the final result. I also feel sorry for Oedipus because he always tries to do what he thinks is right, but he does not know that he is slowly moving toward the ending that fate has planned for him. This makes me realize that some things cannot be changed no matter how hard we try.
回覆刪除英三A 黃閔暄 411315991
回覆刪除I think Oedipus is a tragic character because he tries to escape his fate but eventually makes the prophecy come true. The story also makes me question whether the gods are really fair to humans. Oedipus wants to help his people and does not mean to hurt anyone, but he still suffers because of his fate. I think the most painful part is that he discovers the truth and realizes that he cannot change what has already happened. This story shows me that sometimes people cannot control their fate, but they can choose how to face the truth.
This handout talks about whether Oedipus’s fate is fair. Oedipus tries to escape the prophecy, but he cannot escape his fate. He uses his intelligence and courage to find the truth, but the truth brings him great pain. The story asks why good and innocent people have to suffer. Oedipus blames Apollo and feels that he cannot fight against his fate. In the end, the play shows a sad story about Oedipus and the gods.
回覆刪除When Oedipus finds out the painful truth, he chooses to blind himself instead of running away or making excuses. It reminded me of Charles Swindoll's words: "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." At first, I thought his story was just a sad accident caused by the gods. But after today’s class, I realize that Oedipus’s choice is what makes him truly brave. Even though he couldn't change his fate, his choice to accept the punishment and take full responsibility shows the real strength of human nature.
回覆刪除This handout asks if Oedipus’s destruction is fair and why innocent people have to suffer. Oedipus tries to use his intelligence and courage to escape Apollo’s prophecy, but he finally discovers the tragic truth by himself. The gods seem to watch him fail to escape his fate, even though he tries his best. The story also asks why good and innocent people have to suffer. After learning the truth, Oedipus blames Apollo and feels helpless against his fate. Finally, the play shows not only a human tragedy, but also a tragedy about Greek religion and the unfair actions of the gods.
回覆刪除When Oedipus finds out the truth, he says, “I am cursed! Doomed! I am the man most hated by the gods!” Then, he blames his misfortune on the gods. I think he was right because the wicked gods watched him as if he were a show. But I think he is too kind because he then blames himself, since these things were done by his own hand, and he feels guilty for the victim. However, there was nothing he could do to change what had already happened, even though he had done so much to found out the truth and avoid it.
回覆刪除I think Oedipus’ story is unfair and tragic. He did not know that the man he killed was his real father, and he did not know that the woman he married was his real mother. In fact, he tried to escape the prophecy, but he still could not escape his fate. I don’t think he deserved all the suffering because he never wanted these things to happen.
回覆刪除411011987 英四A 許芳嘉
回覆刪除The feeling of being powerless to the fate and death has always been one of the inevitable things in our lives. I believe knowing ourselves and others will be the path to our happiness and so we will look for our own meaning of lives as long as we are alive just like Oedipus acting on his own beliefs while he knows nothing. This story depicts the paradox of chasing what we want but I think that’s how the life works so I will still continue my own journey searching for meaning and purpose because life is short.
This reading selection on Oedipus Tyrannus deeply explores the themes of "justice, fate, and human limitation."
回覆刪除Oedipus tries with all his might to escape the prophecy, only to ironically uncover the tragic truth with his own hands. This tragedy reveals the arbitrary nature of the gods in Greek mythology as well as the helplessness of human existence. It also conveys a core concept: humans know far too little about themselves and the world. Only by recognizing our own limitations can we remain humble and reverent when facing the unpredictable nature of fate.
英4A 劉紫姸 411270191
回覆刪除What strikes me most about Oedipus is the danger of seeking absolute truth. Oedipus was a wise ruler who was determined to solve the mystery to save his city, yet his search for knowledge ultimately destroyed his life. It makes me reflect on how chasing the truth can sometimes bring more pain than comfort. His story is a powerful reminder that while knowledge gives us power, it can also reveal dark realities that we might not be ready to handle.
周禹妡411012064
回覆刪除After these class I started thinking about how much control we actually have over our lives. Sometimes we make choices because we believe they are the right ones, but we cannot know what will happen in the future. I think this is a little scary because even when we try our best, things may still turn out differently from what we expected.