2022年2月22日 星期二

The Disabled Solider

林珍金
劉有福
康美玲

2. “The misfortune held up to engage our attention”

Yes, we think we kind of agree with this phrase. For example, i have one friend with the same as mine, which is 20. He had misfortune to lose his father at such a young age, 14. He worked so hard to make sure his mom don’t have to worry about anything, to the point he manage to afford for his mom, his brother and his sister, he also bought 1 car with his own money, all at the age 20. He had his heart broken because of that, but he did come back stronger than ever.

3. No, we don’t really think that that the sufferers can get the comfort from other people’s admiration and pity. If we talk about the emotional comfort, some of them maybe can get the comfort, but i don’t think all people like to be pitied by the others. Some of them like to share about whats been going on on their life, while the others don’t. Mostly people can’t stand being pitied, because they are afraid of being treated differently. If we talked about the other comfort, for example, if the misfortune was they house get caught on fire, and then the other offered to give some money, and then there is this person who suddenly came and offered to give some money. I think yes, but there are not that many people who are willing to do these things. They often just feel symphaty. But all the pity and the sympathy won’t be any help for the suffers, they will still suffer.

4. We think that we agree with this phrase. Because if the world is looking on his life, he will feel like he can do anything and can prove it to anyone that he can do it.

5. Yes, we agree because they are stronger than the others. While they don’t have someone to talk to, someone to cheer them up or to help them, they still stand right there, in the middle of the misfortune that they must go through. They try in their own strength without relying or hoping on others. It’s very hard to know that you are in this misery or misfortune alone. They, those who are in the misery and don’t know for how long they will be in it, still try to do their best and don’t complain, surely are the best.

6. Yes, they do.

For example, as a student most of us desire to have a good grade. There are times where some of us would feel embarrassed for not having a good great or fail the course. Some of us feels like it would be a disaster if we can't pass this course and so on. But in the other hand, we forget that there are a lot of people who already feels the joy for being able to get the education or even feel very grateful for being able to barely fill their belly. Some events might be bad news for us but that doesn't mean that we should think it as a disaster. We should still be grateful for whatever we have and remember there are still a lot of people that have worse luck than us.

7. He explained that despite his misfortunes, he still has a lot to be gratitude and explain that there are more people that have gone through worse things than him. He always finds the joy even from a misfortune that happened to him.

Proof:

"As for my misfortunes, master, I can't pretend to have gone through any more than other folks, for, except the loss of my limb and being obliged to beg, I don't know any reason, thank Heaven, that I have to complain. There is Bill Tibbs, of our regiment, he has lost both his legs and an eye to boot, but thank Heaven, it is not so bad with me yet."

"I had some disposition to be a scholar and was resolved at least to know my letters, but the master of the workhouse put me to business as soon as I was able to handle a mallet, and here I lived an easy kind of life for five years. I only wrought ten hours in the day and had my meat and drink Martil provided for my labor."

"People may say this and that of being in jail but for my part, I found Newgate as agreeable a place as ever I was in all my life. I had my belly full to eat and drink and did no work at all.

"I lost four fingers off the left hand, and my leg was shot off. If I had had the good fortune to have lost my leg and the use of Our hand on board a king's ship, and not aboard a privateer, I should have been entitled to clothing and maintenance during the rest of my life, but that was not my chance. One man is born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and another with a wooden ladle. However, blessed be God, I enjoy good health, and will forever love liberty and old England. Liberty, property, and old England, forever, huzza!"

8. Lost his dad when he was only five, unaccepted by any parish, obliged to work for the workshop, have to find for employment and starve, accused to be a poacher, collared and sent to jail, forced to be a soldier, injured in the breast, obliged to work among the negroes, lost his 4 fingers and leg.

9. Depends on the people itself, if the person is willing to try to understand the lesson from each misery, it could be a very great lesson for us. But if the person only understands how to complain for every misfortunes, that will not help

10. A very great story with a good plot. The only weakness that we found is maybe the fact that the languages are a little bit hard for a non-native person.

沒有留言 :

張貼留言