2014年7月5日 星期六

What I Talk about
When I Talk about Love
                  
 --Reaction to The Four Loves by Lewis

進階英文作文2Ac 彭衡


 From Wikipedia, love is a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes that ranges from interpersonal affection to pleasure. Love has various types, towards other humans, one's self or animals. In a word, love is the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another. In The Four Loves, written by Lewis, I have read several different loves, and I picked these types love and talked some own opinion about love.


Affection
     Affection is the humblest love and the most widely diffused love (53).
    In The Four Loves, Lewis tells us that," Affection is not only of ' parents to offspring ' , but also of ' offspring to parents ' ". Parents give us birth, and through it we receive affection, which is the first step to touch affection. In other words, children get the initial impression on affection from the impact of parents. Parents not only give birth, but raise and educate children, which is also the reason why children often behavior like parents. Sometimes, parents play multiple roles. Mother is a nurse when children get sick. Father is a plumber when kitchen's water pipes get blocked. Parents try their best to contribute the little family and look after children. With parents care, children could grew up healthily and happily, all of which we may call it "parents to offspring". However, actually, there is another kind of affection "offspring to parents" as well. Lewis mentioned an example in his book, that is, after delivering baby, mother would suffer if she refuses to give feeding within three hours (54). That is to say, there is a paradox. It is a Need-love but what it needs is to give. It is a Gift-love but it needs to be needed (54).

However, in The Four Loves, Lewis only discussed the affection between parents and children. I come from a big family, in my mind, affection cannot be limited under parents and children, but other relatives also need to be included. I am a tujia people, and we have a long history family tree. When I was young, I started to be taught something about my family history and ancestors. Some people hold God or Buddha as belief, but as minorities, we believe in nature and our ancestors. And the common originals and belief combine our family members together. Although there are also many arguments and differences between each little family, when we meet any big trouble or challenge, all members would figure difficulties out together. The meaning of affection is not talking about it, but giving a hand when be needed. The word I heard a lot from my sister, cousins, aunt, uncle, grandparents, and parents and so on is that nothing can become your trouble as you are in such a big family. Affection receiving from my all family members give me a great power, and I try to give them energy as well, to some degree, it is bidirectional affection just like what Lewis came up with.


Friendship
Friendship is the least natural of loves (88).
In The Four Loves, there're much words about friendship. Lewis wrote some sentences like friendship is really homosexual (90). 
From my perspective, it's true that the same gender people are easier to make friends and more common interests. But can we judge friendship as homosexual? Is every sense of appreciation a kind of romantic love? The answer is, of course, not. In ancient times, girls gathered together and boys were in a herd under such former society environment. However, the situation changes greatly at present. Boys and girls can make friends as well, because they also have common interests as they have the same rights to touch the world at present. If friendship is homosexual, how to define the friendship between different genders.
But as a smart writer, Lewis said that hitheto I have been trying merely to describe, not to evaluable (137). Latter, he said those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a friend (91). I can't agree with the idea more. Only such people lacks of experience with the short-sighted view.


Eros
      What is Eros?
      Is it sexuality? But sexuality may operate without Eros or as part of Eros (132). Is it just person? But the person is particular one. Is it pleasure? But the pleasure can only been given by the one you love. Let me hasten to add that Eros has something with the particular person, rather than simple sexuality action or some other people.
      Nowadays, with the development of society civilization, there is an increasing number of people whose lovers are the same gender as them, standing out to ask for the equal rights as heterosexuality. Most of them don not require too much, what they want firstly is equality and non-discrimination.
      Broken mountain is a film directed by An Lee in 2005. Different people got different things from watching the film. In my mind, it is a tragic story about two lovers.
      At the last time meeting, they had a fierce argument. Facing the beautiful sights of Brokeback Mountain, where they fell in love with each other, where witnessed their love story, Jack Twist shouted to Ennis Del Mar, “You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short fucking leash you keep me on and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you’ll kill me for needing somethin’ I don’t hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! I’m not you…I can’t make it on a couple high-altitude fucks once or twice a year! You are too much for me Ennis, you son of a whore son bitch! I wish I knew how to quit you!” it’s really a long talking, so does Jack’s love to Ennis. Only deep affection can continue such long years when there’s even no future to expect for.
       Every time I watch the film, I can’t help have something complicated feelings about Ennis. There’s a man loving you so much, but I am not sure whether you love him as he does, because you have too many hesitations and recurrences. Do you regret after his death? As no one loves you like him in the world any more. Of course I believe you love him when you swear to that two T-shirts, and I even cried as well. However, I just can’t help thinking, maybe you just love yourself more.
       Jack once said they could had a good life together, having a place of their own. But Ennis didn’t want it. So what they got now is Brokeback Mountain. Only the nature of Brokeback Mountain can accept their love. How a tragedy it is! In reality society, there’re also many people loving each other, but they can’t confess their love in public sometimes, because they just have the same genders, so some of them got sad endings like Jack and Ennis.
       What’s the problem of Eros? What’s the nature of Eros? What’s the essence of Eros? Voltaire once said,” I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Homosexual isn’t fierce floods and savage beasts, the only difference from heterosexuality is that they love the people who have the same gender. Since there’re also a great number of heterosexuality, we do not need to consider about the problem of multiplying human beings. Eros is related with the particular one, no matter with which gender.


Loves for the Sub-Human
        Loves for the sub-human is a kind love of appreciation.
        If you take nature as a teacher she will teach you exactly the lessons you had already decided to learn (35). Nature is really a miracle existence. We can know the weather from plants, the degree of air from moss, and even big disaster from little animals’ unusual movements. What’s more, in some people’ eyes, like botanists, nature is holy. Wordsworth is a biggest fan of the love of nature as well.
        As what I mentioned before, as a minority, nature is also a holy symbol in our nation. We worship nature and believe in our ancestor changing from animals. When I was young, I just appreciate nature, but don’t take it as holy belief. Until I experience one thing.
        When I was in senior high school, my health got much problem. My immune system is poorer than normal people, so I often got some little diseases. After going to hospital so many times, my mother looked help towards a warlock, who told my mother your daughter needs to become an old tree’s godson. The magic part is not only I did recovered from that time, but that was a fairness night, we were worried about hurting the gingko tree chosen, however, when I burned some cheaper money, one link of ceremony, it started rain, and stop raining immediately after this link. Normally, the weather like that night wouldn’t rain, but it did. After personal experience it, I do believe in nature, and I trust the validity of the miracle of that gingko tree bringing to me.


Love in its various forms acts a major facilitator of interpersonal relationships, that is love enhance people's interactions and shorten the distance between people. And no matter love presents what certain appearances, love is beautiful all along. For me, I hope to live through love, even live longer than love.
      

沒有留言 :

張貼留言